While there a variety of Coffee Makers that can make a great addition to your modern kitchen, there’s a lot to choose from too! Different styles of coffee brewing lead to the existence of various coffee makers in the current market. Coffee enthusiasts looking for a clean and comfortable solution for coffee brewing prefer the Pour-Over coffee makers.
Pour-over coffee makers are generally cheaper than the traditional drip coffee makers and still make some good quality of the coffee. They are easy to operate, and the varieties available compel both the experts and beginners in coffee brewing. But are all the pour-over coffee makers the same? Surely not! Remember that there does not exist any specific coffee maker that can suffice the needs of everyone, so the definition of the Best Pour-Over Coffee Maker can vary from person to person.
Some Best Coffer Makers in 2019 you should Check:
Things to Consider Before Buying the Best Pour Over Coffee Maker
There are a few factors you should consider when it comes to deciding which particular coffee maker you should go for, and we have listed them down here.
One of the most critical decisions one has to make while choosing a Pour-Over type of coffee maker is the choice of the filter material. Three such materials are well-known and let’s have a quick look at what each of those materials offers.
- Paper Filters: Paper filters are not reusable, and hence the brewer needs to replace them after each brew. If you are a regular coffee brewer, then you need to buy a bunch of them. And that can prove expensive. However, the paper absorbs coffee oils neatly and makes the coffee more acidic.
- Metal Filters: Metal filters do not need replacements much often as the paper filters need. They do not absorb the coffee oils when filtering and hence provide a rich flavor. Even though they are expensive than other types of filters available, the overall cost or filters gets reduced because of their longevity.
- Cloth Filters: Cloth filters lie precisely between the metal and the paper filters. You can reuse them, so no need for buying a bunch of them at once. However, they absorb some amount of oil, and hence the consistency of filtering differs over time if you use them over a while. You can wash them after each use to retain consistency. But you need to replace them after a few months or weeks depending upon the frequency of their use.
The Pour-Over Coffee maker can come with a wide range of different build materials. Glass, metal, ceramic as well as plastic. Some of them allow for reheating while coffee is still inside the brewer, while some can keep the coffee stored longer inside them.
- Glass Pour-Over coffee makers: The glass bodied pour-over coffee makers can store the coffee for a much longer time as they do not introduce a change in taste nor absorb any flavor. If used at the right low flame, you can use them for reheating the coffee as well! They may not be the first choice despite this better for everyone, though, as they break very easily when dropped.
- Plastic Pour-Over coffee makers: Plastic pour-over coffee makers do not break as easily when you drop them accidentally. You can even pack them with you without worrying about damaging them. They are lightweight, and you can carry them around easily. However, hot water can cause the chemicals in the plastic to mix into the coffee, creating an unpleasant flavor change in the coffee over time.
- Metal pour-over coffee makers: Metal pour-over coffee makers are durable, and mostly made out of excellent quality stainless steel. They are easy to carry with you and add a crisp metallic flavor to the coffee that you brew in them. As metals are good conductors of heat, the metal pour-over coffee makers can draw heat away from the coffee. This can cause the temperature of the coffee to go below the pleasant hot temperature you want your coffee to be.
- Ceramic pour-over coffee makers: Ceramic is brittle, and hence, ceramic pour-over coffee makers are not convenient to carry around with your stuff. They are thicker and heavier than the glass counterparts but opaque and can come in different designs and colors.
The number of holes, as well as their size in the pour-over coffee makers, determine how quickly the coffee will pass through the filter. Smaller holes mean the coffee will take a more extended amount of time to drip. Longer brewing time is more suited for people with little to no experience of coffee brewing. Larger holes allow better control which experts tend to favor. Such coffee makers have more room for error hence not suitable for beginners.
Insulation is another important factor you should consider when you look for the best pour-over coffee maker for you. Insulated pour-over coffee makers can keep the coffee warm for a longer time due to their double-walled designs but add to the cost, become heavier to carry and thicker.
Best Pour Over Coffee Maker: Features, Pros & Cons
1. Hario V60
Hario V60 offers a wide variety of materials and sizes to choose from and is from Japanese makers. It is one of the best yet easy to use pour-over coffee makers one can buy right now.
- Many options for choice
- A single large hole at the bottom
- Available in three sizes
- Suitable for both expert brewers as well as novices
Product Review and Description
When it comes to flexibility and convenience, Hario V60 offers the whole range. You can buy the Hario V60 in three different sizes, with each one targeting a different user. Size 01 can make up to one cup of coffee at once, while the size 02 can make one or two regular cups of coffee. Size 03 can be used to make from one to six cups of coffee in one go. It features a conical design with one large hole at the bottom for dripping your coffee. You need to use the conical filters (paper filters recommended and provided with the coffee maker) with this pour-over coffee maker. You can order it in different colors like black, brown, olive wood and red when you want it in the glass material.
Ordering a metal one leaves you with the choice of color between black and copper. Plastic Hario V60 comes only in red and brown colors, whereas the ceramic can only be red-colored. Overall, the experience of brewing coffee in this pour-over coffee maker was a convenient one. It took 2-3 minutes of work to make a delicious cup of coffee, and the single large hole at the end of spiral-ribbed cone-shaped allows optimum control on the taste of the coffee.
- There are many options concerning size, material as well as color to choose from.
- Excellent quality of filters is provided with the coffee maker itself.
- Compatible with different paper filters from other manufacturers as well.
- One large hole type of setup is not suitable for everyone.
- A few people have experienced filters breaking due to the one large hole at the bottom, letting the water escape at a higher rate than they expected.
If you know what you need, then this product makes your search for the best pour-over coffee maker come to a relaxing end. That is if you can make the single hole design work for you.
2. Kalita Wave
Kalita Wave is a worthy competitor in the quest for the best pour-over coffee makers. It has a flat bottom design, and it is easily one of the most affordable-yet-excellent coffee makers in the market.
- Ribbed design
- Excellent quality paper filters
- Flat bottom filter with three holes
- Affordable price
Product Review and Description
The Kalita Wave offers the pour-over coffee makers in three different materials: metal (stainless steel of course), ceramic and glass. The Japanese manufacturers Kalita have put a lot of effort into the research and development of this particular range of coffee makers. This much effort in development makes it a durable and one of the premium coffee makers in the market. The Kalita Wave coffee makers are available in different sizes suitable for various purposes, although we strongly recommend the Kalita Wave 185 for brewing up to three to four cups of coffee.
You need 26 to 45 grams of coffee to yield between 16 to 26 ounces of coffee. The amount of coffee you add depends on the concentration and richness you like to have as well. The Kalita Wave 185 model, as stated earlier, can brew 3-4 cups of coffee at a time. There is a Kalita Wave 155 model useful for brewing coffee for one or two people at once. The three-hole design puts the coffee brewing experience on a whole new level.
It gets you better extraction, makes the brewing process less volatile. More importantly, it does not introduce any unpleasant flavors in your coffee. The Kalita Wave product range uses their style of paper filters for filtering the coffee, leaving you with incompatibility of filters from other manufacturers. The filters are of exceptional quality and look very nice too.
- The coffee maker is easy to clean, and paper filters ensure a low level of mess creation.
- Great pour-over coffee taste because of its ribbed and flat bottom design with three holes.
- The three holes instead of just one large hole ensure even extraction and slower brewing.
- A few users have experienced a rusting issue in the stainless-steel version of Kalita Wave dripper, as not all parts are of stainless steel.
- You might experience over-extraction in some cases if you do not follow the recommended process carefully.
The Japanese Kalita Wave dripper is a good option for anyone looking for a cheap but effective coffee maker in the pour-over style coffee maker. We recommend this if you prefer easy brewing and a strong, rich brew of coffee. Not recommended for people looking for low concentration coffee brew.
3. Chemex Classic Series Pour-over coffee maker
One of the premium pour-over style coffee makers made from non-porous Borosilicate glass, simple and easy to use. The Chemex Classic Series pour over coffee maker allows the coffee to be covered and refrigerated so that you can reheat without losing any essential flavor.
- Easy to use
- You can use it to store as well as reheat the coffee
- Made from premium materials
- Different sizes available
Product Review and Description
The Chemex Classic coffee maker is for people who take their coffee with leisure. It does not let you brew the coffee in a hurry, but it is not meant for people in a hurry anyway. The design is simple yet elegant, and Chemex offers their pour-over style coffee maker in porcelain, glass, and metal construction. The glass Chemex coffee maker is available without the glass handle, and the Chemex Classic we would recommend, comes with a stylish wood collar and a leather tie.
It comes in 3-cup, 6-cup, 8-cup, and 10-cup sizes, with the size name indicating the number of cups of coffee you can brew at once. You can use this coffee maker with the Chemex Bonded Filters FP-1, FC-100, FS-100, and FSU-100. The flat glass bottom of the coffee maker, along with the glass body enables you to keep the coffee warm for a more extended time. You can also heat it on a metal coil or burner at a low flame.
- No is maintenance required, easy to wash, and reuse.
- It gives you the ability to choose from metal and paper filters.
- A stainless steel grid becomes useful for heating the coffee on an electric coil as well.
- Washing the coffee maker is the most elegant task; you will require a different type of brush to do so.
- Being made of glass, it is a tedious task to handle it and wash it without dropping it. Dropping it will break the whole thing.
We recommend this product to anyone looking for a premium coffee brewing experience. The large storage capacity and option to reheat the coffee in the brewer itself is a big plus.
4. Coffee Gator Pour-Over Brewer
This pour-over coffee maker from Coffee Gator makes some delicious coffee in an easy and fast brewing process. Metal reusable filter and glass storage make the Coffee Gator Pour-Over Brewer an excellent addition to your kitchen.
- Reusable metal filter
- Glass storage
- Available in different sizes
- Reasonable price
Product Review and Description
The Coffee Gator Pour-Over coffee maker makes use of the concept of putting the kettle and the carafe together. The design is the key selling point of this coffee maker, as it matches most of the modern kitchen design styles without any hassle. The coffee maker comes with a built-in temperature gauge to make the coffee brewing experience more convenient. With the temperature sensor, you can make sure you get the same coffee richness and taste every time you make coffee with this coffee maker!
It is available in three different sizes, attracting different needs of the coffee lovers. The 10.5-ounce model can store up to three small or two standard cups of coffee at a time. The 14-ounce model can store four standard cups of coffee at once. The 27-ounce model can store up to six cups of coffee at once. This coffee maker from Coffee Gator throws the need for non-reusable paper filters out of the window with its metal filter.
Although the metal filter is not so easy to clean and reuse, it serves the purpose of not having to rush to the nearest convenience store to grab some paper filters when you want coffee. The whole process of brewing coffee, as reported by most of its users, is straightforward and takes no time at all, considering the traditional opinion that pour-over coffee makers are supposed to be slow.
- Elegant and beautiful design
- Large sizes available
- The built-in temperature gauge is quite useful
- Reusable metal filter for longevity
- The glass construction is very fragile and can break easily
- The metal filter can be a bit challenging to clean, as compared to use and throw nature of paper filters
We recommend this Coffee Gator Pour-Over Coffee Maker to anyone looking for an excellent design with a few nice to have features. The temperature gauge serves its purpose, and if that is what you need, go for this product without any worries. However, the fragile glass construction can be a concern for a few coffee lovers.
5. Melitta Pour-Over Coffee Maker
This coffee maker from Melitta makes some delightful cups of coffee and is one of the easiest to use.
- Plastic Filter cone used is BPA-free
- Fits most of the cups and glasses
- You can use reusable as well as use and throw filters
- Available in 6-cup and 8-cup sizes
Product Review and Description
The Melitta Pour-Over coffee maker is when simply put, one of the simplest and cleanest coffee brewing experience you can have. It has an elegant design, making it suitable for home and office use, too. You can use the use and throw paper filters, that come in a conical shape if you run out of the plastic cones provided by Melitta with the retail pack of this coffee maker. The blooming process can last about 30 to 90 seconds.
You can control the boldness of the coffee brew by changing the speed of pouring water. If you need a bold coffee, pour water slowly, and you are good to go! The design is compact, and you can carry the Melitta Pour-Over Coffee maker with you almost everywhere. It is small enough to even fit in the drawers. You can brew cold coffee with this coffee maker as well.
- Compact and elegant design.
- Uses inexpensive filters and allows you to use reusable filters as well.
- Only three pieces need to be assembled before you can start making coffee.
- Two sizes are available, 6-cup and 8-cup capacities of brewing and storage.
- The glass material is prone to breaking and chipping.
- Only four cone filters come with retail packaging.
- This coffee maker does not work on large cups/mugs.
The Melitta Pour-Over Coffee maker is a classic pour-over coffee maker with great convenience with respect to the filters you can use with it. We recommend it to everyone looking for a compact and convenient pour-over coffee maker.
6. Bodum Pour-Over Coffee Maker
The pour-over coffee maker from Bodum features a non-replaceable metal filter which is excellent for reusability of filter. But these are different propositions altogether as opposed to the use of use and throw paper filters.
- Permanent stainless-steel filter
- A total of three different sizes are available
- Beautiful design and integrated storage of coffee for reheating
Product Review and Description
The container that holds the brewed coffee from the Bodum Pour-Over Coffee Maker is made from the Borosilicate Glass, which is easy to clean. However, it makes the container brittle as compared to plastic and metal containers, which makes it prone to crack and chip while handling and washing. There are a total of three different sizes available for this product, the 17-ounce being the smallest and 51-ounce being the largest. The moderate 34-ounce model can store up to 8 small cups of coffee if you consider one cup being equivalent to 4-ounce of coffee.
Considering that the coffee maker only uses a metal filter and no paper filters for coffee brewing, this coffee maker retains the natural oils in the coffee ground and provides a rich coffee experience. The advertised time required to brew coffee from this coffee maker is three to four minutes, and we found it correct in most cases. However, this is with the assumption that you use preheated water at the start of the process.
The only let down we encountered in the case of this coffee maker has a stainless steel mesh sitting on the plastic cage as a filter. This situation creates a sense of being cheated in the customers as the manufacturers have advertised a stainless-steel filter. As the plastic in the filter does not have any marks on it that are usually found on food-grade plastic in the US, we are not sure if it does or does not leach any chemicals in the coffee. This is undoubtedly a point of concern as the plastic is exposed to hot water and can alter the taste of the resulting coffee as well.
- Paper free filtering, ensuring the preservation of natural oils in the coffee extract
- The premium quality glass used for manufacturing
- Available in several colors
- You might wish that the glass was thicker than it is due to the glass being prone to cracking and chipping
- The filter is known to be unable to catch fine grounds sometimes, resulting in an unpleasant experience
- No measuring marks on the included carafe
We recommend the Bodum Pour-Over Coffee maker to everyone looking for a premium quality pour-over coffee maker that comes from a reputed brand. The reusable metal filter irradicates the concept of having to rush to the nearest convenience store to grab some paper filters to get a hot cup of coffee.
7. Maranello Pour-Over Coffee Dripper
The pour-over coffee dripper from Maranello is one to look out for if you want something that is affordable yet ticks the most boxes when it comes to making a delicious cup of coffee.
- Perfect fit on most of the regular-sized cups
- Dual filters made from high-grade steel
- Eco-friendly brewing with no use of paper filters
- Conveniently portable
- The metal filter keeps the natural oils in the coffee intact
Product Review and Description
The Maranello Pour-Over Coffee Dripper has an elegant design, made from high-grade stainless steel. It features a flow-through design with a conical body and tiny holes in the bottom plate to let the coffee sip out. Most of the users found this particular model of the pour-over coffee makers straightforward simple to handle. What they liked the most is that the dripper does not get much hot when you need to handle it. The metal tab on the dripper does its job, and you can easily lift it up and off the cup when you finish brewing your hot cup of coffee.
This coffee maker is found to brew a stronger cup of coffee even when you perform a similar brewing process when compared to other pour-over coffee makers. This could be because instead of having a hole at the bottom of the filter, this coffee maker has a stainless steel mesh instead. Thoroughly paper-free filter and use of high-grade steel ensure that the coffee you make with this coffee maker does not include any added changes in flavors or any leach from plastic or other materials. This fact puts the Maranello coffee maker on top of the list of coffee lovers who like their coffee robust and pure.
- Does not use paper filters, uses two layered stainless steel filter instead
- Does not break easily due to the stainless steel construction
- You can easily carry it with you because of the durability and compactness
- The metal filter is not user-replaceable.
- Metal filters can clog easily. Unless you clean it thoroughly at regular intervals of time, the clogging can make this coffee maker the slowest brewer on the planet
To conclude, we feel that the Maranello Pour-Over Coffee Maker will attract the coffee lovers that want a pure and robust cup of coffee every time they want it. For that purpose, though, they need to keep the stainless steel filter clean as it can clog very easily.
8. Hario Woodneck Drip Pot
The Hario Woodneck Drip pot comes with a cloth filter, instead of a reusable but irreplaceable metal one, or a paper filter which you cannot reuse. This fact itself is worthy of considering the Hario Woodneck as one of the best pour-over coffee makers you can buy right now.
- Comes with three washable cloth filters that you can reuse for a couple of months, washing them between each use
- Comes in two different sizes
- Gives you an option to choose from dark wood or olive wood handle
- Comes from a reputed brand
Product Review and Description
The Hario Woodneck Drip pot pour-over coffee maker might look like a scientific experiment at first, but it is one hell of a contraption if you think about the taste of coffee it can produce. The dual-glass design and the wooden touch are very pleasing to the eye, and enhance the look of your kitchen for sure.The washability ensures you can get the same rich and robust coffee each time you prepare the coffee using this coffee maker, provided that you wash the cloth filter carefully after every use.
The coffee maker comes in two different sizes of storage, 240 ml, and 480 ml. We recommend the 480 ml as it is not much expensive than the 240 ml but is enough to brew two large American mugs of coffee at once. The option to choose the wooden finish from olive wood and the dark wood is a bonus.
- Reusable cloth filter is a big plus
- Professional experience when brewing coffee using the Hario Woodneck Drip pot
- No need for purchasing paper filters now and then
- Beautiful glass and wood design looks pleasing to the eye
- The cloth filters last a couple of months easily even after daily use
- The glass can break. Period.
- You need to wash the cloth filter with intricate care after every use
- Consistency changes once the cloth filters start aging if you do not clean them neatly
If you are in for an eco-friendly solution to the paper filter problem, this coffee maker from the Japanese company Hario will not disappoint you. The only thing that you need to be concerned about is the cleaning of cloth filter after every use.
9. Melitta 6-cup Pour-over Porcelain coffee maker
This pour-over coffee maker from Melitta can store up to six standard cups of coffee in the included porcelain carafe and boasts a full porcelain body that can dissipate heat quickly.
- Full porcelain body ensures no leaching of unwanted chemicals in the coffee
- Uses Melitta cone-shaped filters
- The beautiful white design adds to the beauty of the kitchen
- Can make up to six cups of coffee at once
- Can be put on the low flame stove to reheat the coffee in the carafe
Product Review and Description
All-porcelain made 6-cup capacity pour-over coffee maker from Melitta is one to watch when it comes to packing beauty with functionality. We found the porcelain on the coffee maker very appealing to the eyes, and could not compare it with anything else when it comes to elegance. Even though it looks so lovely, the porcelain has its disadvantages too.
The porcelain can break very easily as compare to metal and plastics and dissipates heat away also. This can lead to an unpleasant experience of coffee losing the temperature before you could sip it. The bonus of having the ability to heat the coffee on a low flame while it is still inside the coffee maker helps a lot too!
- One of the best looking affordable pour-over coffee maker available right now
- Dishwasher safe components allow for easy cleaning
- Six cup capacity is enough in most cases
- Porcelain materials look excellent and are considered very safe
- The Porcelain construction makes this coffee maker very easy to break during handling and washing
- You need to use new paper filters each time, making this one of the non-eco-friendly brewing experience
- Brewing can be a bit slow at times
- The Handling feels flimsy because of the smooth porcelain surfaces
We can’t recommend this product enough to everyone looking for an elegant yet functional addition to their kitchen. 6-cup capacity and fully porcelain build make this coffee maker one of the best you can buy right now.
10. Beehouse Coffee Dripper
The porcelain coffee maker from Beehouse listed here is a compact, yet a functionality-wise excellent alternative to all the coffee lovers willing to purchase a pocket-friendly pour-over coffee maker for their kitchen.
- Uses a common form of paper filter for filtering the coffee
- Designed for all experience levels
- Intelligent design
- Made from lead-free material
- The large base can fit most of the standard cups and carafes
Product Review and Description
The Beehouse Coffee Dripper is manufactured in Japan and is a sweet piece of engineering to the least. It looks fresh and cheerful and brews equally tasty coffee. The added privilege of being wholly constructed from lead-free porcelain material adds to its advantages. It uses standard paper filters like the Melitta and Filtropa paper filters. This makes the coffee maker more flexible to use as you do not need to purchase a specific type of paper filter each time. This is an essential point of concern because you need to discard the paper filters after every use.
The coffee maker itself is tiny in size but can handle enough coffee ground mixture to prepare up to two cups of coffee at a time. The broader base plate allows it to sit comfortably on cups bigger than the size of the coffee maker. It does not come with its carafe, so you need to install this coffee maker on a cup or a carafe to make coffee. Be as it may, but this adds even more flexibility to our use of this coffee maker, as we can use it with anything we like!
If you take care while handling the coffee maker, the Housebee Pour-Over Porcelain coffee maker can be taken on trips and camping with you because of its compactness and ease of washing.
- Small in size, so easy to carry and handle
- The porcelain material used is entirely lead-free
- Even though it is small, the broad base plate ensures that it can sit on top of all standard-sized cups and carafes
- The porcelain material used for the construction of this coffee maker makes it brittle and can break if mishandled
- The use of paper filters makes this coffee maker a non-eco-friendly option
We recommend this porcelain made tiny coffee brewer for coffee enthusiasts who are looking for a sleek yet very functional pour-over coffee maker to add to their collection.
This rounds up our take on the top 10 best pour over coffee makers that you should buy right now. Not every one of us makes the coffee in the same way, neither the requirements of each one of us for the coffee maker are the same. So, the best Pour-Over Coffee maker will be different for each one of us. We did our part to the best we could to make your job easier to choose what’s best in your use case.